Friday, July 22, 2011

My First Art Quilt, Ancient Pots

As I mentioned in a previous post, I don't have new creations to share right now. And most of my previous projects were lost in a house fire in 2004.

But, Im going to share with you one that survived the fire. Well, it didnt really survive the fire, it wasnt there. It survived because it was a gift to a dear friend of my daughter and was hanging at Arizona Research Insitute (ARI) at the time and still hangs there today.

My daughter is a recent graduate of Arizona State, accomplishing a PHd in Archealogy. She has worked at ARI for a number of years. The quilt was a gift for her friend and boss. She sent me pictures of some of the ancient pottery housed there. I chose two for the composition of this quilt. This is what I started with:
















And here is the completed quilt: With the exception of the swirls on the bowl, it is all machine pieced. It is hand quilted. In size it is about 36 x 50 inches.


If you are in the area, feel free to visit ARI and see the quilt. You will have to ask as the desk as it is hanging outside the directors office, but they will be happy to show it to you. I have asked them to enter it in the local quilt show, but they are archealogist and their world does not consist of quilt shows. It is ok though, as it is well loved where it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment if you like