Tuesday, October 23, 2012

McCalls Design Challenge Winners

Hi everyone, what a great day... I wanted to let you all know that I did not win the final round of the McCalls Design Star challenge.

But, I also want to let you all know that I feel like a winner anyway.

I challenged myself in this contest. I never thought I could draw let alone create any realistic looking works. I allowed something inside me to let go and so, I did acheive that goal.

I also wanted to become more comfortable showing my work in a larger setting. It is very hard to let others look at and critique the work that comes from inside your heart. And I have always had a pretty thin skin. So this was a big deal for me.

I never thought I would get past the first entry round, and so, was very pleasantly surprised when I did. I was just as surprised each time I advanced. I made a new friend during this process and that makes me very happy too. Im a winner all the way around.

Now, I also want to say, that I am not a big fan of popularity contests. They do not usually produce good results. And true to form this one, especially in the ameteur category, missed the mark.

Dont get me wrong, all the contestants are skilled and did wonderful work. But due to the process, especially in the Ameteur category, there are much better representations of creativity, quality and design that were not recognized.

I posted this comment on the McCalls website as a desire to see a better process. My comments were moderated and deleted. I find this most disturbing.

I read several comments in the artist comments sections that were personal attacks on the artist, and these comments were allowed to stand. So, I dont get why process improvement comments on the main page were deleted. I suppose, in re-reading it, they may have found my comments to be negative towards the winner, which they are NOT intended to be. But like I said, there were much worse allowed directed specifically to the artists. So, I will have my say here and move on.

Only some of the artists were showcased on the blog page...what's that all about. I thought mine may have been left off due to arriving a day late. But it wasn't just me. So, we will just have to take that in stride and move on. It's not a big deal to me, just an indication of something amiss.  Most likely it is a time management issue, but who knows.

The contest page says there were over 70,000 votes and that some people left mulitple comments for their favorite to try to give the impression of exagerated excitement. This was the statement by the contest, not me.

  But just so the more exceptional artists do not get completely passed over, go have a look at two in the ameteur category that I feel are superior works in creativity, construction and design. I voted for both of them throughout because I could not chose between them.. Go have a look for yourself and let me know what you think..

This one is very deep in meaning and the construction and quilting is superb..
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/articles/Quilt_Design_Star_2012_Finalist_Trisch_Price

and this one is so touching, read through the comments and you will find more that meets the eye.. http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/articles/Quilt_Design_Star_2012_Finalist_Donna_Schipper_Moyer

And finally, I want to thank all of you who encouraged and supported me throughout this process. I could not have done this without you. You are all the greatest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment if you like