Monday, June 10, 2013

Just back from Decorah!

Last week I went to Decorah, Iowa for a visit with my daughter to work on some curtains for her house.  I had a great trip both up and back!

My daughter set up two days of quilt study for me, one at the historic Porter House http://www.porterhousemuseum.org and one at the Vesterheim Museum http://vesterheim.org/index.php .  I will be back later in the week to share with you the great days I had.

If you are in Iowa and have a chance to visit either of these places, I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Are there any Quilt Study Groups in Iowa?  If so, I would LOVE to have a chat with you about some of the things I noticed about the quilts in both of these places..Just post in the comments section below and Ill be in touch.

I did some genealogy research, some cemetery walking and some updating of pictures on Find a Grave for a few other researchers..

And then..

We happened up on the new nest of the Decorah Eagles...With three fledglings in the nest, we caught a quick glimpse of the Mamma Eagle bringing food to the nest. I went back three days in a row to see her again and saw her one more time..but she was so fast, and I was fiddling with my camera. So, no picture that time.

She flew to the nest, dropped the food and flew away again, directly at me and so close above my car I thought I could have reached up and touched her.  How exciting, but no picture. I was like the left fielder that was dawdling while the game was going on, looking up just as the ball was hit directly to me.  Flubbed it!

But here are some of the pictures we were able to get ...

This is the stand of trees the nest is in. We only found the nest because we happened to be driving by as the Momma was flying in.
If you look very closely you can see three young ones in the nest. These two were anxiously awaiting the arrival of dinner!


 Mom arrived!  Soups on!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment if you like