Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Its Christmas day and I shared a nice family dinner yesterday with my Son, his new wife and her family. It was a nice day and evening.  Today, Im home enjoying a quiet day sewing and I am truly enjoying it.

Leading up to this day, I see people setting expectations for gift giving that they cannot possibly meet, over indulging in all sorts of food, drink and spending that, once the day is past, they will face with regret.  Regret that they spent money they did not have or the headache that comes with too much celebration the night before.

But for me, the week leading up to this day was one of witnessing the struggles of others and helping to make this day a little brighter for one family in need. Let me explain...

I was drawn to a post on FB by a friend who was looking for some help for a family that she knows who are struggling this season.  The father/husband in this family left them in August, taking with him all the family money.  He has dissapeared leaving a single Mom and three children.  Now, this Mom is doing what she can to restore power to their house so that her little family can remain safe and secure.  She asked not for money or charity for herself, but for some help to make sure her children would have some gifts to open on Christmas.

Not having an income myself, I could not give money, but I decided I could give "stuff" to this family.  I used the last bit of gas in my car, and the last cash in my pocket and went shopping for the two girls, hoping that someone else would take care of the one boy. After finding out what the children's interests were, I got started.  I wrapped up all the little gifts I found and the ones I made, even a regift from my own home for the Mom.. she deserves our care and love too for sticking with her kids in the face of this difficult time in her life.
They were all delivered to the family on Friday.

What I want to share with you are the things I made for the littlest girl who loves dolls. I purchased the doll, but made the dolly bassinette, flannel blanket and doll sized diaper bag using fabric from my stash.



The ideas came from another blogger.  I made some critical changes in the construction allowing for a larger bed to fit the doll I had, adding some interfacing to make it stand up, and boning around the hood for shape.

All in all, I think they came out pretty good.  I would love to have seen this little girl open her gifts as it is heart warming to know you have helped make it a good day for someone else.  It truly is the giving that lifts the spirits and gives us hope for the future.

I will be posting the pattern for these items here on the blog, once I have made a second set and perfected the construction for the best results.  Be sure to come on back in a few weeks for the free pdf download of the pattern.

I will be making the next set for selling on etsy..yes, Im going to open and etsy shop!

And I have decided to make this an annual activity.  I have all year to decided how to locate a family that I could help with my skills and materials on hand.  I plan to have some quilts already made in preparation for the season.  However,   Im not sure I will have to wait until next Christmas for the giving...as there are always people in need of care and love...

Lesson learned:  I am often dissapointed in the human race, we can be so cruel to our fellow humans.  It is disheartening and creates stress and anxiety in me.  I have learned that the first step to changing the world is to take steps myself and reach out to others in need.  I am joining the ranks of the benefactors. No matter how small a contibution I make, I know it is coming from the heart.  The heart is the place where love begins.

It is my hope and wish that you All have the best Holiday possible and that you are surrounded by your friends and family and feel the Love of this season throughout the entire coming year and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment if you like